While I have lots of creative fun, I still have dry times. These are my 5 top tips for keeping yourself exploring, experimenting, ready to dive into the pool of your own creativity!
- Always have a blank notebook and pen, pencil, markers and whenever you with a little time on your hands, start doodling make lines shapes shadows, add depth, direction–let your creative energy flow right out your arm onto the page.
- Can’t think of what to paint? Let yourself be inspired! Open your favorite art book or an image that you really love and copy it. Do it to feel the energy that artist did and know that you yourself have the same power running through you.
- Pick a word or phrase that really resonates with you and use it for inspiration! See what that word conjures up in your mind or use it graphically to enrich your canvas.
- New art supplies! Whether they come from an art store, a catalog or a 99¢ store, new art supplies will charge you up and get your creative juices flowing!
- Put down some textures! I use newspaper, foil, plaster and all sorts of other things to create textures on my canvases. When you have a really rich textual subsurface, all you need to do is start adding color and the painting seems to paint itself!
That is why I have created my Textures In Painting workshop. The workshop will run 3 consecutive Thursday evenings, June 5, 12 & 19, 7-10PM (new dates!) at the Downstairs Studio in Prospect Park South, Brooklyn. I want to be able to share with you the fun of playing with all these new substrates (foundation for your canvas). We will be slapping on mediums, mixing them up, seeing what comes out! I will provide all the goodies to make your sample boards (so you can remember which techniques we used) and your masterpiece! Experimentation and exploration will be our watchwords. You don’t need to know how, I will guide you through it all as we turn our textured canvases into beautiful paintings. You will bring your most creative self to the party! SIGN UP HERE!